Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lifegroup top 10

In our experience, lifegroup (or small group) is a group of people, usually from church, that meets once a week to do 3 things-1) study the bible 2) serve at church and 3) serve in the community. I would add a 4th, saying that social activities always find their way into the mix. I've never been a part of a lifegroup that didn't have parties together or meet for dinner occasionally.
Kevin and I have been in several lifegroups in the last 13 years of marriage. Our first one was a financial bible study, Crown, and the one we are in right now just finished up a financial study, ABC's of Personal finance. We've been a part of lots of other studies. I just find it interesting that the first group we were a part of and the one we're a part of now are both financial ones. hmmmm...If I had to pick a favorite study (not group-I loved them all!) it would be the DNA of Relationships by Gary Smalley. Great study. We've made some lifelong friends though our smallgroup experiences. Since moving to Valencia this summer, Kevin and I have looked forward to joining a Lifegroup (that's what our church calls them). We got plugged into one, and Kevin is leading it. He's such a great leader and facilitator. I love listening to him and gaining insights from him.

Anyhoo, here are my top 10 reasons to be in a lifegroup-
  1. You get to meet people in your church. You may not believe it, but Kevin and I are both introverts. We find ourselves very content with just a few friends. It's hard for us to just go up and meet people and develop friendships. Being in a Lifegroup connects us to others in our church and encourages us to build relationships.
  2. You have something to look forward to each week-Our group meets on Sunday afternoons. Our family knows that Sunday afternoon is taken. No playdates, no football, no TV, no errands. It's lifegroup time.
  3. You gain a different perspective on the bible and in life. As I get older, I'm finding that I really appreciate others with different thoughts than my own. I like hearing about what others gain or learn from scripture. I want to learn what others interpret from whatever book we're reading.
  4. Your kids meet new friends. I loved it when McKenna came home from school a few weeks ago and said, "Mom, guess what? I saw Jenna, you know, from Lifegroup, today. She goes to my school!" Our group has 8 adults and 12 kids. The adults meet in the family room while the kids play in another area of the house, or outside.
  5. I get to talk to other adults. I look forward to visiting with the other women in our group. They're moms and wives, just like me. Because I'm home with the kids during the day, there are days when I don't have any adult conversations until 2 in the afternoon, when I pick up the girls and talk with the other moms waiting on their kids. Lifegroup gives me a chance to visit with great ladies.
  6. There's always food! Like I said, there are 4 couples in our group and it works out perfectly. One couple hosts (opens their home to us), one brings drinks, one brings a salty snack, one brings a sweet snack. Perfection.
  7. Accountability-Kevin and I have talked about needing to work on our budget. We've talked about it for a long time. Now, were in a lifegroup doing a financial study. This week, our homework is to do a budget. Because we are part of a group and we made the commitment to do this study, we'll make it a priority to do our budget.
  8. Prayer-I'm not one to write prayer requests on the connect card on Sunday mornings. But, if there is something on my heart, I'll share it with my Lifegroup. I know they'll pray. I also know that they'll ask me about it the next week. I love praying for specific needs and hearing how God meets those needs during the week.
  9. We're setting a good example for our kids. I want our kids to know that worship and church on Sunday(or any day) is important. I also want our kids to know that Kevin and I love God and each other so much that we want to be a part of a Lifegroup. To grow deeper is our walk with the Lord and to build up our family.
  10. Life is better in a group. I've found that life is easier when you're sharing it with others. When you're in a Lifegroup, you always have someone who has your back. You always have a contact. You always have someone you can call on a moments notice and know they'll help if they can. You always have a group that's up for a party.
Our lifegroup rocks. I'm so thankful for such a great group of families. I'm excited about future studies. Maybe I'm just excited to be done with the money one ;-) I'm excited about going through life with these folks. I know God put us in this group for great things and I can't wait to see what He does in and through us.

1 comment:

lorrie george said...

just saw this posted.... we are thrilled to be a part of a life group with you all and even more getting to "do life" with you guys!