- we've been fighting summer colds for the last 2 weeks. Lots of kleenex with lotion and yucky cough syrup. I'm tired of being sick and feeling blah. Not sick enough to stay in bed, but not really feeling like doing much of anything.
- we've had 2 friends move in the last week. Brandi and her family moved to St. Louis over the weekend. Since then, McKenna has asked to play with her daughter, Anya 6 times. And our good neighbor friends, the Surmeiers, moved to a bigger house. Sigh.
- I must be getting older, b/c I'm finding I don't like change as much as I used to.
- I'm starting to panic about Avery's wardrobe for the school year. I went to her school's website last night to look at the dress code requirements and realized she doesn't own one thing on the list. We have some shopping to do...She starts 1st grade in 5 weeks. Agh!
- Avery and McKenna went to Abilene for a few days. Kevin is working hard on his dissertation, and I'm taking care of Presley. I got a few books from the library and watched a movie last night after Press was asleep. Man, Revolutionary Road is such a depressing movie. Seriously, I can't believe people liked it. Is this really what other couples go thru? I also just finished reading Confessions from an honest wife. It was a good book. It made me appreciate my marriage and upbringing so much more. I love Kevin with my whole being. He completes me, silly as that sounds. He's my best friend. We are in a crazy season of life right now, with his work, his dissertation, the kids in their growth stages and all. We often talk about going away together, a second honeymoon of sorts. Then, we remember that we pay for things with cash now. another sigh. For now, we'll just look forward to the next date night, whenever that will be. And be grateful for grandparents who watch our kids.
- In the last 5 weeks, we've known of 4 leaders/pastors in various churches that have been involved in extra-marital affairs. 3 of the people we didn't know, except that I followed their blogs and/or went to conferences at their church so I felt like I at least knew of them. Yesterday, I found out about one in our own church. I'm so disappointed. I don't know this person well, but I just can't believe that people choose to cross "that" line. I can't believe people don't have enough self-control. I can't believe people think they won't get caught. I'm just so annoyed, disappointed and mad at the same time. No wonder non-believers are so critical of the church. Are we really no different than the rest of the world?
- I've prayed alot for this little girl this week. I can't imagine. I feel much the same as Kevin posted earlier this week. She looks so much like McKenna, it's frightening. I've thought alot about her mom this week. Since I first learned about Kate, I've fixed maybe 30 some meals for my family, I've done 10+ loads of laundry, I've taken the girls swimming twice and I've nursed Presley 42 times. Kate's mom hasn't been able to do the most mundane chores of motherhood this week. Instead, she's been stuck in a hospital, dealing with doctors and nurses, eating crappy cafeteria food, crying her eyes out, hoping someone else can take care of the other 2 kids, wondering why this is happening to her little girl. I wonder if they had 4th of July plans, or if they had plans to vacation this summer? Now, everything is changed. Please pray for the McRae family. Pray for a miracle in Kate's healing. Pray for Kate's family.
- I'm counting my many blessings today. I have a great husband, I have 3 healthy, beautiful girls, I have a dog who thinks I rock. I have a home, a mini-van, food in the fridge, clothes in the closet, air-conditioning. I have a Maker who knows my every thought and loves me still. I have family, friends and neighbors. I am so thankful for today.
Thursday, July 9, 2009
I can't believe summer is half-way over.