Thursday, January 29, 2009
Websites About Kansas (Kansas Day—Jan 29)
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/kansas/ Information about the state of Kansas with links for worksheets
http://www.governor.ks.gov/Facts/default.htm Information from the Office of the Governor about the state of Kansas…including information about the Capitol and the Kansas Quarter, as well as a link to some online activities for Kansas kids.
http://www.kansasphototour.com/clickmap.htm A photo tour of various points of interest in Kansas
http://www.territorialkansasonline.org/cgiwrap/imlskto/index.php Various facts and a timeline of Kansas History. Might be more of a parent resource than a kids’ website.
http://www.apples4theteacher.com/usa-states/kansas/kids-books/ A list of books for elementary students about Kansas…hopefully, they aren’t all snagged up at the local libraries :o)
http://www.shgresources.com/ks/timeline/ Another timeline on the history of Kansas—going back to the “geological ages.” More of a parent resource than a child website.
And while it may not be as poetic as Kevin's noted authors, Rich Mullins wrote some great lyrics about our neck of the woods. You can even get this song as a ring tone...
Well the moon moved past Nebraska andSpilled laughter on them cold Dakota Hills
And angels danced on Jacob's stairs
There is this silence in the BadlandsAn over Kansas the whole universe was stilled
By the whisper of a prayerAnd the single hawk bursts into flight
And in the east the whole horizon is in flames
Chorus:I feel the thunder in the skyI see the sky about to rain And I hear the prairies calling out Your name I can feel the earth trmble beneath The rumbling of the buffalo hooves
And the fury in the pheasant's wings It tells me the Lord is in His temple and there is Still faith that can make the mountains move
And a love that can make the heavens ring Where the sacred rivers meet beneath The shadow of the Keeper of the plains
From the place where morning gathers You can look sometimesForever 'til you see
What time may never know How the Lord tilts corners this old world And shakes us forward - shakes us free To run wild with the hope The hope that this thirst will not last long That it will soon drown In the song not sung in vain I know this thirst will not last long, that it will Soon drown in the song not sung in vain I feel the thunder in the skyI see the sky about to rain
And with the prairies I am calling out Your name
Check back later for more ks day pix and recaps...
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Monday, January 26, 2009
ok-unfair question, but what happened to you last year on this day?
Sunday, January 25, 2009
McKenna is such a delight. She loves life and is the cutest 4 year-old I've ever seen. She keeps us on our toes and she is going to change the world someday. She was a miracle baby and continues to surprise us every day. Happy Birthday, McKenna. We love you!
Friday, January 23, 2009
Best Friday night. Ever.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Here is a real working bee hive. There is a tunnel where the bees can get outside the building. Here is a picture Avery drew after we got home of the bears we saw. How do you explain taxidermy for a 3 and 5 year-old? Anyway, we had a good time. I wish Kevin could've gone with us to the museum. He would have like it, too.
He passed his proposal and is in full-blown dissertation mode now. That's great news. We celebrated be eating at Culvers. Then Kevin took me to use the coupon. Then we found a park so Kevin and the girls could play and I could feed Presley. Then we went to the LVS offices. Then back to Wichita, with a pit stop in Benton. Back home at 5:07pm. We had a great day.
Tried to shoo the girls to bed so we could watch LOST. I forgot how tense that show is. I tried to lay in bed and watch but had to sit up b/c I was so stressed out! Can't wait til next week.
This morning, in the midst of laundry and cleaning, we did school and focused on the Bible story of Joseph. We are going to see the dress rehearsal of Friends' production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat tonight. I'm so excited. Kevin and I were both in Joseph... at Friends 15 years ago when they did it. Brings back lots of good memories.
We're heading outside to spend as much time bike-riding as possible. Looks like today will be our last good weather day.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
If you can, please pray for Kevin tomorrow between 10 and noon. After he finishes his proposal, we'll go somewhere to eat and celebrate. Then head back to Wichita. Lost starts back up tomorrow night, so we'll need to get home and get the kids in bed!
Monday, January 19, 2009
Friday, January 16, 2009
- We studied Antartica this morning. Colored penguins-did you know that after the mom penguin lays the egg, the dad stays with the egg for 2 months guarding it? The dad doesn't even eat for those 2 months. He just stands with the egg on his feet, his belly hung over the egg, protecting it. Cool-
- this week in language arts we read Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. I remember reading this book when I was in elementary school. Avery and McKenna both loved the book and activities that went with it.
- We have post-it notes all over our house. Avery is learning about matter in science and yesterday she had to identify 10 solids in our house.
- Avery is almost halfway done with her kindergarten year. She is doing soooooo well. I'm amazed at what she is learning and how she is growing. Kevin and I are talking about what to do next year. More thoughts to come...
- My folks are in town and my mom is making chicken gumbo tonight. Her family is from Louisiana and she makes the BEST gumbo. Period. She only makes it once or twice a year, so I'm glad she's making it here!
- I've been nursing a cold this week. I'm also nursing Presley, so I haven't taken much medicine. Presley has a yucky nose this morning. Ugh! And so the season begins...
- McKenna just realized it's 9 days until her birthday. She's so excited!!!!
- Kevin and I have some planning and shopping to do-McKenna turns 4 on the 25th, Avery turns 6 10 days later.
- It's hard having birthdays so close after Christmas. It requires extra planning and saving. Before the holidays, we talked about going up to KC for the weekend to celebrate, just hanging out at the hotel pool and enjoying family time, etc...Now, we're thinking maybe swimming at the Y and a meal at McDonalds!
I'm looking forward to a 3 day weekend. Kevin will probably need to work on his dissertation, though. I'm glad he'll have the time to do it. No home projects, no other plans. Just family. And probably a basketball game or 2...
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Monday, January 12, 2009
What's next? Nothing....until Kevin is finished with his dissertation. Then, it's painting the basement(not much money, just a lot of time) and remodeling the master bath!
Friday, January 9, 2009
My parents got a call in the middle of the night last night about another death. The mother-in-law of my uncle. She's been fighting cancer for 2 years and passed away Wednesday night. A friend from church had a post earlier this week about funeral songs. A few years ago, my dad did a sermon on how to plan your own funeral. My plan is written in my bible, just fyi.
Another dear friend's husband lost his job this week. I can't imagine her life right now. She's such a strong woman, yet she's had one thing after another go "wrong" in the last year or so.
It's been a strange week, trying to process these events. They don't affect me, but I feel sad, none the less.
On a much lighter note, I'm looking forward to this weekend. We plan to go swimming at the Y tonight when Kevin gets home. Saturday the girls have a b-day party to go to, Kevin will get some much needed time to himself to work on his dissertation, then we may have a date night tommorow night. Hopefully, it will include a meal at Bella Luna or Olive Garden! Then, we are going to budget for 2009. Why talk finances during date night? Because we won't have 3 kids begging for our attention and we can have a thought-provoking conversation at a decent hour. I don't think clearly past 9pm. Sunday should be fun, too. Church and nothing else. Always makes for a good day, don't you think?
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Sunday, January 4, 2009
We had a wonderful time with family and friends over break! My favorite part was getting to spend time with Kevin. I love having him home with us. We spent time watching movies, playing games, painting and redecorating our bedroom (pix coming soon!), bowling, staying up late, and sleeping in. Presley sleeps about 10 hours at night now, so it was nice. We let the girls stay up later than usual and they slept til 9 most days.
Thursday, January 1, 2009
- the birth of Presley Faith Osborn
- Avery starting Kindergarten
- McKenna being McKenna
- established workout schedule
- Paying off the van, getting a handle on our finances
- worked on making our house a home
Goals for 2009 include:
- watch less TV
- maintain workout schedule
- preparing healthier foods for the family
- at least one date night a month with Kevin (we need to communicate and work out a plan as to who plans the date, gets the sitter, etc...)
- pay down more debt, increase giving and savings
- paint the basement sometime this spring or early summer
- brainstorm ideas for a bathroom remodel-after Kevin is a dr.
- organize my home-I have more junk drawers, closets, and rooms than I care to admit.
- plan more family time
Avery-ride my bike more
McKenna-go to the park, ride my bike without training wheels
If you could only have one resolution, what would it be? Mine would probably be the date night thing. I love spending time with my husband. Maybe because date nights usually mean a restaurant and means I don't cook for one night a month. Maybe it's b/c that's when I feel most like an adult, a wife, instead of mommy. Well, whatever the reason, the date night is what I'm looking forward to this month.