Thursday, September 25, 2008
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
On the bright side, I'm grateful that we're in Wichita, that we're close to family, and that I know God is going to take care of us.
"The Lord is righteous in all his ways and loving toward all he has made. The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. " Psalm 145:17,18
And, as if we didn't have enough going on, Kevin is incredibly busy at work right now. We didn't realize this would be such a busy season for him when we "planned" all of this. He is also defending his dissertation at KU on Thursday. Please pray that will be a great and rewarding experience for him. Or that he'll just get through it.
I'm headed to the park with the girls this afternoon. It's beautiful outside today. Hopefully the great outdoors will help lift my spirits, and give me an idea as to what to do for supper! Not doing MPM this week is already taking it's toll...
Monday, September 22, 2008
How do you organize your coupons? Do you cut them every Sunday? Print them off the web? keep them in your purse? Do you know what a coupon is? Leave a comment and let me know-
Sunday, September 21, 2008
- Cream Cheese Chicken
- Cheesy ham and potatoes
- Honey Lime Chicken
- Beef enchiladas
- Red beans/rice
- Beef/zucchini casserole
- Chicken w/ red potatoes
- Cider Braised Pork Chops
- Chicken enchiladas-I haven't made these yet, I didn't buy enough chicken and ran out. But I plan to make these sometime this week.
There isn't a Menu for this week. If you can find it, you can eat it. I bought a boatload of groceries this weekend. More snacks and convenience foods than usual. It seems, no matter how much I try to plan (make a list) I almost always get home, get everything put away, THEN remember something I should have gotten. Yesterday it was coffee. Ugh... Kevin assured me we had enough to get through the week, though.
I think Pink3's head is still up. We'll know more about her arrival on Tuesday. That's when I see the dr. again. Until then, we're cleaning, schooling, and enjoying the fall weather.
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Thursday, September 18, 2008
I saw this today and got so excited. You have to watch the whole video, especially if you attend GP and saw the 80's series. It rocks!
Here is the recipe for green chili chicken enchiladas. I plan to make these and freeze, as well. A friend of mine made this for a small group pot luck last spring. I've made it several times since. We love it.
1 lb. chicken breast, cooked and diced
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 can (small) green chilis, chopped
2 cans green chili enchilada sauce
cheddar cheese, grated
Mix first 3 ingredients. roll into tortillas and place in 9x13 pan. Pour enchilada sauce over all and top with grated cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. We serve this with spanish rice and black beans, chips and salsa. Enjoy!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
The tooth fairy is coming to our house tonight! Kevin pulled Avery's tooth when he was home for lunch today. She is so excited! I wanted to celebrate, so I thought we'd make homemade cookies this afternoon. I also planned her science lesson on teeth. However, in her science lesson she learned that sugary foods are not good for teeth, so we skipped the cookie project, for today. Actually, I'll probably wait until she goes to bed tonight and make some, b/c they sound so good! Does anyone know the going rate for a 1st tooth?
Monday, September 15, 2008
- we had homeschool co-op. It's not really working for us. We still haven't met anyone and it's on the other side of town. Avery and I were both miserable this morning.
- Kevin and I are trying to squeeze a date night in tonight. He should be working on his dissertation, I should be working on the house. The girls are spending the night at Grandma's. I hope we can enjoy tonight without thinking of what we "should" be doing
- Avery's 1st tooth is sooooo loose, I'm afraid she'll lose it while she's at Grandma's house. As a type A mom, this is really bothering me...
- McKenna has gymnastics and can't find her leotard. We've looked everywhere
- Today is an audit day at LVS, which means Avery needs to register her attendance online, do 1 assignment in each subject she's taking and I have to fill out paper work. Something is wrong with the K12 site and I can't get online to do much of anything. Kevin mentioned they were having problems at work b/c of servers going through Texas and getting messed up in the Ike situation, so I'm wondering if that's it or not. So, we haven't done much school today.
- Abby, the dog, is really limping. We took her for a walk last night and she can barely move today.
I hate being a Debbie downer. Isn't it just like us humans to blow up over a loose tooth or lost leotard? On any other day I would have totally brushed these things off. These issues are temporary and not even important, really. But I'm ready for today to be over. Or at least for tonight to start...
Sunday, September 14, 2008
- raisen toast/fruit
- toaster strudel
- turkey/spinach/provolone sandwich-I'll post the recipe later this week. It's Kevin's favorite sandwich
- taco salad
- pb and j
- Green chili chicken enchiladas-recipe coming soon!
- Stuffed sole, green beans, rolls
- breakfast casserole/fruit salad
- chicken marsala/salad
- frito chili pie
- date night out!
My friend, Kim, told me today that McDonalds happy meals have the Wizard of Oz characters starting this week. Dorothy is the 1st one, so I'm sure we'll have one meal at that fine eating establishment this week (this is your official warning, honey). If you read last week's menu, you'll notice I've carried a couple of meals over to this week. Some plans changed and I didn't get a few meals made last week. We'll try it again this week.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Thursday, September 11, 2008
So, Avery's been an only child for the last 2 days...
Avery slept till 9:15 on Wednesday
- Did Math, Language Arts, Phonics, and History
- Kevin had a lunch meeting so Avery and I went to lunch-her choice-McDonalds
- got a dvd from Redbox-Ariel's Beginning
- Grandma Keating gave Avery some $ to buy some fall clothes, so after lunch we went to Kohl's and Target. We shopped for almost 3 hours! Found LOTS of clothes. Narrowed it down to a few items and headed to Grandma Osborn's for alterations.
- Ate supper on our china and drank milk from our wine glasses. We read Sleeping Beauty earlier in the day and wanted to eat on gold plates like the fairies did. I'm counting the days until I can use those wine glasses for their original purpose!
- Watched the redbox dvd and went to bed-well, I did anyway. Kevin and Avery stayed up later...
- Avery slept in again-
- Did Math, Language Arts, Phonics
- Went to Friends U. and had lunch with Kevin
- on Tuesday in science, Avery learned about bones, joints, her skeleton, and skull. Kevin arranged for us to go into one of the labs on campus and look at a real skeleton. It was pretty cool. Avery was so excited!
- came home in the afternoon, rested, did science (muscles, heart, brain), took a phonics assessment
- It's raining here, no plans for tonight-I need to go work out.
When asked what her favorite part of the last 2 days were, Avery said, "going shopping!" Yes, she is my daughter!
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
- What do you do for Christmas? With your immediate family, then with the family at large
- What do you wish you did?
Monday, September 8, 2008
Saturday, September 6, 2008
- cinnamon toast
- soup/grilled cheese
- taco salad
- cheese/crackers/summer sausage/veggies
- spaghetti/bread/salad (I've had this on the menu 3 weeks now. Maybe this week will be the week I actually fix it!)
- breakfast casserole (I use croutons instead of bread)/fruit salad
- Turkey breast/stuffing/sweet potatoes/crescent rolls
- Stuffed Sole/peachy rice/salad
- homemade pizza
- leftover buffet
I still have high hopes of making extra meals to freeze for when pink 3 comes. I'm less than 3 weeks away. More like hoping for a miracle at this point. I'm tired. I LOVE planning. I'm just not as good as carrying the plan out.
Friday, September 5, 2008
Thursday, September 4, 2008
I asked the girls what their favorite thing about Grandpa Osborn was-
McKenna-"getting to have his birthday cake"
Avery-"that we get to see him alot, and that he builds things for us, and fixes things"
Me-"that he loves his family, his kids, grandkids, and wife. And that he raised a wonderful man, my husband!"
- Avery learning how phonics work, sounds work, and reading simple words
- McKenna learning about colors and shapes, practicing cutting-all with her left hand
- Avery learning about art, Australia, and her 5 senses
- going to the zoo to visit the Australian exhibit
- reading and acting out Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Tom Thumb, Thumbellina, and The Frog Prince. Making puppets and posters
- experiencing the joy of learning (and teaching)
- Having lessons together as a family
Yesterday was our first LOW day. Kevin and I have realized that we let the girls watch too much tv over the summer and we're trying to cut back. Avery is having a really hard time with this. She came unglued yesterday, when I told her we needed to start school. Then, she had another meltdown in the afternoon. So....
No Disney for a week. No Hannah Montana until further notice-hopefully never!
I know she needs downtime. We don't "do" school all day, every day. But I've noticed some patterns in her with regard to what she watches on tv that concern me. She loves to play dress up and doll house. She loves to color and make crafts. She'll be doing those things more often now...
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
We had a wonderful 3 day weekend. Now, it's time to get back to a schedule and I'm trying to figure out how to start.
- I'm running low on my homemade laundry detergent, so I'm going to make some more today. Last time, I made liquid, using one of my husband's work buckets. He wants it back, and I don't have a substitute, so I'm going to try this recipe (#4) and make powder detergent this time.
- School kicks back up today-I would like to do 20 more days of school before Pink 3 comes at the end of the month, don't know if that will happen or not. Right now, I'm wondering how to cram 5 days of school into the 3 we have available this week! My type A personality doesn't know how to enjoy the benefits of homeschooling, yet.
- Avery is doing really well in school-her handwriting is very good and she's starting to read simple words. It's so exciting to experience learning to read with her.
- The girls are going to a friend's house this afternoon for a play date. I'm looking forward to a nap!
- 2 of the 3 vehicles we have currently aren't working. ugh...
- Didn't do MPM this week. Last week was crazy, I only made one meal on my list, so I'll just use last week's menu and start over next week.
- Dave Freeman said that Sept. 1 was the start of Fall. I got out our fall decor over the weekend. Everyone who's been over said I put it out too early...
- Did several loads of laundry for Pink 3. We picked out a crib. I'll post pix when the nursery is finished.
- I'd like to get 2 more date nights in before the baby comes. I miss being ALONE with my husband!
- Our friends, Troy and Lissa, had a son last Friday. Gabriel Luke was 8lbs. 6 oz and 21 inches long. We got to visit them at the hospital and he looked perfect!
Well, it's 8:30am-McKenna just got up, Avery is still sleeping. I'm enjoying my computer time before "life" begins. Now, McKenna wants to color on the computer, so I'm off. I hope you all have a great Tuesday!