Thursday, July 17, 2008

My husband's favorite

When I was growing up, my mom used to make sweet and sour meatballs for dinner occasionally. Shortly after Kevin and I married, as I was getting acquainted with my domestic side, I tried her recipe. Kevin LOVED it, and, after 11+ years, it is still one of his favorites. I usually serve this with white rice and corn. Enjoy!

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
2/3 c. cracker crumbs
1/2 c. minced onion
1 egg
1 1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. ginger
1/4 c. milk
1 T. shortening
2 T. cornstarch
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 can pineapple tidbits, drained (reserve syrup)
1/3 c. vinegar (I use apple cider)
1 T. soy sauce
1/3 c. chopped green pepper

Mix thoroughly beef, crumbs, onion, egg, salt, ginger, and milk. Shape mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls into balls. Melt shortening in large skillet; brown and cook meatballs. Remove from heat, keep warm. Pour fat from skillet.

Mix cornstarch ad sugar. Stir in reserved pineapple syrup, vinegar, and soy sauce until smooth. Pour into skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens ad boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add meatballs, pineapple, and green pepper. Heat through. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: