Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dr. Daddy!

So, you probably know by now, Kevin successfully defended his dissertation this week and he is officially Dr. Osborn. McKenna keeps calling him "Doctor Daddy." She also asked me one day if he was going to work in the building with the other doctors (the one we go to when we're sick). I always joke with people and say, "he's not the kind of doctor that makes money, but he will be the kind of doctor that will change the world." I can't even put into words how proud I am of him. I married way up, and I know it. I'm so grateful to be his wife, the mother of his children, the love of his life. I have no idea what God has in store for us, but I know it will be good.

It's been another busy week around here, and, I assume the busyness won't stop for quite some time. We spent most of the day yesterday packing, or, rather, trying to figure out how to start packing. I remember being in 5th grade and my family was moving from Ks to Ky for my dad to go to seminary. I thought it was so strange that my mom was starting to pack weeks before the move. I also remember that everything just seemed to happen, without my doing much work (and without my consent). Now, I'm keenly aware that things WON'T get done around here unless I do it (with Kevin's help, of course). I guess it's the harsh reality of being an adult. sigh... Today, we're going to tackle the garage, and have lunch with good friends. This is Kevin's last week at Friends U. A week from today, he'll head to Ca to start at Fuller. Then, he'll come back, help me finish with the house, we'll close, celebrate Thanksgiving with family, then head west. Seems like a dream. Not a nightmare, just a dream. A dream that includes a lot of work.

Thank you for your prayers for Kevin and our family. We know God is in each step of every process and path we're on. There are a lot of unknowns for us right now, but we know a known God and are clinging to His word and truth.



2 comments:

marla said...

I also remember you were gone when mom and dad and I moved from Rolla to Oberlin and Oberlin to Newton and Newton to Abilene. Do you remember dad's labeling system? A 3x5 neon notecard labeled w/ a black sharpie the room where the box is to be placed w/ the contents of the box listed below the room name. That notecard is then taped on at least 2 sides of the box and must be fully covered w/ the tape, or else the movers could accidentally rip the card off and the whole moving process would just be a failure! I learned the labeling system the hard way. I will come over and handle those labels for you if you need me to since you're type A just like dad.

Gerri said...

Marla,
Glad you are the one that mentioned Michelle was absent during all those moves. I was going to suggest she contact you since you came to our rescue so many times--especially Newton to Abilene--you, Phil and LeaAnn. I also remember that LeaAnn, Wanda and LaRita and maybe Carrie came over the last night in Newton and packed boxes and LaRita took care of all the window treatements--washed and ironed them. Oh the memories we have created in moving. Don't forget Fred not being able to get that Big Wheel onto the truck for the move from Kentucky to Rolla, KS and he just took it to the trash bin.