- We studied Antartica this morning. Colored penguins-did you know that after the mom penguin lays the egg, the dad stays with the egg for 2 months guarding it? The dad doesn't even eat for those 2 months. He just stands with the egg on his feet, his belly hung over the egg, protecting it. Cool-
- this week in language arts we read Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. I remember reading this book when I was in elementary school. Avery and McKenna both loved the book and activities that went with it.
- We have post-it notes all over our house. Avery is learning about matter in science and yesterday she had to identify 10 solids in our house.
- Avery is almost halfway done with her kindergarten year. She is doing soooooo well. I'm amazed at what she is learning and how she is growing. Kevin and I are talking about what to do next year. More thoughts to come...
- My folks are in town and my mom is making chicken gumbo tonight. Her family is from Louisiana and she makes the BEST gumbo. Period. She only makes it once or twice a year, so I'm glad she's making it here!
- I've been nursing a cold this week. I'm also nursing Presley, so I haven't taken much medicine. Presley has a yucky nose this morning. Ugh! And so the season begins...
- McKenna just realized it's 9 days until her birthday. She's so excited!!!!
- Kevin and I have some planning and shopping to do-McKenna turns 4 on the 25th, Avery turns 6 10 days later.
- It's hard having birthdays so close after Christmas. It requires extra planning and saving. Before the holidays, we talked about going up to KC for the weekend to celebrate, just hanging out at the hotel pool and enjoying family time, etc...Now, we're thinking maybe swimming at the Y and a meal at McDonalds!
I'm looking forward to a 3 day weekend. Kevin will probably need to work on his dissertation, though. I'm glad he'll have the time to do it. No home projects, no other plans. Just family. And probably a basketball game or 2...