Thursday, January 29, 2009

Happy Kansas Day!

On this day back in 2003, we lived in Kentucky and I was 1 day past our due date with Avery. I was hoping she would come on January 29th as a Ks day present, or something. She didn't come for another 6 days. I was teaching in an elementary school and decorated my door with a big Ks sunflower. Everyone asked why and when I explained that it was Ks Day they all said they had no idea when Kentucky day was. I feel so blessed to have grown up here. I love Kansas. I love that we get to experience all 4 seasons. I love that you can see for miles and miles. I love the fact that my husband was raised in Kansas and shares his love for home with me. He has his own tribute to our beloved state here. We have some fun activities planned for today. First was breakfast.a Sunflower -aka Life cereal and bananas. And Avery, still in rollers, with a waffle and banana sunflower breakfast.

And while it may not be as poetic as Kevin's noted authors, Rich Mullins wrote some great lyrics about our neck of the woods. You can even get this song as a ring tone...

Well the moon moved past Nebraska andSpilled laughter on them cold Dakota Hills

And angels danced on Jacob's stairs

There is this silence in the BadlandsAn over Kansas the whole universe was stilled

By the whisper of a prayerAnd the single hawk bursts into flight

And in the east the whole horizon is in flames

Chorus:I feel the thunder in the skyI see the sky about to rain And I hear the prairies calling out Your name I can feel the earth trmble beneath The rumbling of the buffalo hooves

And the fury in the pheasant's wings It tells me the Lord is in His temple and there is Still faith that can make the mountains move

And a love that can make the heavens ring Where the sacred rivers meet beneath The shadow of the Keeper of the plains

From the place where morning gathers You can look sometimesForever 'til you see

What time may never know How the Lord tilts corners this old world And shakes us forward - shakes us free To run wild with the hope The hope that this thirst will not last long That it will soon drown In the song not sung in vain I know this thirst will not last long, that it will Soon drown in the song not sung in vain I feel the thunder in the skyI see the sky about to rain

And with the prairies I am calling out Your name

Check back later for more ks day pix and recaps...

3 comments:

Gerri said...

Can't wait for the rest of the day and recaps and pix. Kentucky may not have had a Kentucky day because they thought every day was Kentucky day. Remember how we sang "My Old Kentucky Home" at every event--sports and other school events--right up there with "The Star Spangled Banner"

Topher said...

Hey Michelle, it's Chris(topher). Happy Kansas Day to you all. Like you, I'm puzzled that other states don't seem to make a big deal. Jenny's from Montana, and I don't think she even knows when "Montana Day" is so she always laugh that I make a fuss about KS Day. Our youngest two both had b-days last week, and I remember wishing Jenny'd be overdue so they could be born on KS Day. I keep a running blog, but Jenny does our family blog. Here's the address: www.accountingformylife.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember singing "My Old Kentucky Home" at the beginning of school every day when living in KY. But I also have fond memories of making my Kansas book every year in grade school in KS.