Aside from marriage and salvation, I think this is the best anniversary we've celebrated. September marks the 1st anniversary that Kevin and I have said "NO" to credit card use. We decided we were through with debt and made some drastic, and not so drastic changes to our lifestyle.
- we started living on a budget, and sticking to it
- we quit using credit cards completely
- we made a plan to be debt free in 6 years
- instead of eating out 2-3 times a week, we eat out once a month
- decided to not keep up with the Joneses
Since last September, we've
- paid off Kevin's medical bill from CO (fish hook in the eye injury)
- paid off Ashley Furniture-we now own everything in our house!
- paid off van
- bought used car and paid cash for it (trying to sell and pay off truck)
- cut credit card bill and student loans down significantly
- set up/established an emergency fund
- set up 2 savings accounts
Last winter, our small group from church went through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace study, and it changed the way we handle our finances. Just found out Dave is having a Labor Day sale so I wanted to pass on the info.
This hasn't been easy, hasn't always been fun. But we both know it will be so worth it in the end. Kevin's goal is to call Dave Ramsey and scream the famous "I'm debt free" on his radio show. Someday, honey, someday soon...