Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Black bean soup w/ chicken and sausage

This soup was amazing when we had it last Friday night. Smoky Hill paired it with their Pasta Vino wine. I tried to recreate this last night and it turned out well. We drank Pink Catawba last night and loved them together. Here's what I did-

2 cups cooked, diced chicken (I seasoned it with this dry rub, then just baked the chicken in the oven.)
1/2 lb. smoked sausage, sliced and cut in half, they'll look like half moons.
2 long carrots, sliced thin
2 stalks celery, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans chicken broth
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp thyme
3 bay leaves

while the chicken is baking in the oven, saute the carrots, celery, and garlic in a small amount of EVOO. Then add the sausage and saute a few minutes longer. Add the thyme and bay leaves. Then add all of the chicken broth, the chicken and black beans. Simmer for however long you want.
I served this with semi-homemade focaccia bread. I took pizza dough in a can, baked it half-way, then drizzled EVOO, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, shredded Parmesan cheese and salt over the top. Bake it the rest of the way and enjoy!
Next time, I'll add more broth. And I'll double the recipe and freeze the rest for later.

No comments: